State is Sacrificing You!
Through Adverse Legislation:
- Targeting state pensions and other healthcare benefits as a way to solve Illinois' fiscal budget crisis.
- Passing pension reform for new hires which has opened the door to possible reforms on current employees.
- Introducing legislation to change the benefit formulas within the pension systems for current employees.
- Launching legislation to eliminate tuition waivers for faculty and staff.
The State is Further Sacrificing You by:
- Withdrawing legislation for the College Insurance Program (CIP) that would allow funding to keep the program solvent and provide for inclusion of the City Colleges of Chicago.
- Continuing to explore diminishing the pensions of current employees.
public universities and community colleges to reorganize departments,
reduce and layoff staff, impose furlough days and legislate the ability
to borrow money for operating expenses.
By being a
member you are helping SUAA advocate on your behalf. Numbers Count!
SUAA is at the forefront:
- Pushing legislation to fund the public pension systems.
deeper reforms to the public pension and healthcare benefit systems at
the Committee Hearing level in both the Illinois House and Senate.
testimonies with accompanying documentation to the Governor's office
and other policymakers regarding the hardships placed on the membership
due to the State's inability to make timely payments to healthcare providers.
- Proposing responsible approaches for debt reduction to the Governor and Leadership in the General Assembly.
legislation to improve benefits for all participants and beneficiaries
of SURS; bringing further awareness to related issues; being recognized
for credible requests to preserve current benefits.
- Working to right the wrongs of PA096-0889 (SB1946) that was hastily passed as pension reform on March 24, 2010.
- Blocking legislation to impose a premium for healthcare coverage on retirees.
- Preventing legislation from passing that would eliminate tuition waivers for faculty and staff.
- Monitoring and participating on State mandated committees to evaluate, align and recommend State funding practices critical for the economic and social well-being of the higher education community.
In this critical time, we are
asking you to join our association as we fight for your benefits
membership in SUAA is economical. Dues are $33
membership and no more than $12 for your local chapter per year.
We are working for you and we need your help. Please print out the new member form or call
217.523.4040 for more information or email SUAA@suaa.org.